Saturday 3 September 2011

On becoming an adult ☆

Having waved goodbye to my teen years (boohoo) and entering my "20's", I have been reflecting on what it means to be an adult. Though I still feel the same as when I was 16, particularly when in the company of my (extremely immature!) best friends, and I still live with my lovely mum at home, I still feel that I'm pretty self sufficient. I can cook a decent meal, take care of my finances okay (if there are no nice dresses to be bought), do my own washing and ironing (though this is rare) and I have always been given a large amount of freedom to do whatever I want (within reason) I assume to avoid the typical teenage activties such as climbing out the window to go to a party (*coughcough* my cousin).

However, in just a few short weeks I will be taking the next step into adulthood. I am moving out. Fair enough it's only 15 minutes away, but the closer it gets, the more I realise how much it will change my life. I've never spent more than two weeks away from home, apart from an 18 month period whereby I lived at my dads for work and even then I came home most weekends. 

While most young people can't wait to get away from home and go to university, I am defiantly a home person, I chose a university in my home city so therefore lived at home for my first year, and the home comforts are lovely (I often tell my mum that my older brother will never move out while she continues to feed his 12-jaffa-cake-a-day habit!).

However, the four-bus-a-day commute to and from uni, especially when I only needed to hand in assignments or collect marks, soon became quite tiresome and finding quiet and time alone in my house is not easy! So when some of my course friends mentioned they had a spare room this year, I decided to take the leap and move out. I must admit, I am looking forward to being closer to uni, living with my friends, being able to get home at 4am and not feel too guilty and gaining the independence you can only get when you live alone. I am also rather looking forward to decorating a new room and having extra wardrobe space! And lets face it, universities are only in term for 6 months of the year anyway!

Lx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you ☆

Design by | SweetElectric